Thursday, September 30, 2004

Mozilla Vs IE, One man' s opinion
I recently exchanged e-mails with a member of my Fantasy Football league about his recent conversion to Mozilla. Just thought I'd share the highlights....

I like it so far. I switched because I was being attacked with viruses all the time using Outlook and while they don't get through, the need to put up the two firewalls and use Norton at a very aggressive setting caused all kinds of difficulties that appear to be pretty well eliminated now.

I am buying a new computer and will change to thunderbird, the stand alone email program that goes with Mozilla when it arrives in a week or two. Now I'm using Mozilla as the email program and I have to say it is slick. I doesn't take anywhere near the time to load that MSN does (my other browser included email program) and is or seems to be just as fast as Outlook.They seem to have thought of everything that's wrong with explorer and fixed it.

I was having huge problems trying to get the Stat Tracker (for sports stats) working with explorer and Norton and now it works fine with no adjustments. Norton obviously was not the problem since I still have it running. It has a download tracking window, I don't see anything that would make me go back. There might be problems with pages loading that use a lot of Java script or activie X controls but I haven't run across any.

The program uses google as its search engine without the need to install anything and I haven't even scratched the surface of the plug ins and other mods available. I've installed the latest java engine, macromedia and flash players and quicktime and realplayer 10 are next. All of this is free and open source. I really can't believe it. I may be a linux convert next.