Tuesday, February 22, 2005

My Daughter is Beautiful

I flew down to San Jose and saw my daughter (Caitlin) this past Saturday. To most of you, that means nothing, to me...it means everything. You see, I haven't seen her since she was 5 years old. Saturday was her 13th birthday. The reasons I haven't seen her are far to complicated to get into here, but the important thing is I am a part of her life now.

I picked her up Saturday morning and we walked & hung out at her local mall. Just me and her, walking, talking & getting to know each other. We shopped, ate & had a good time. Afterwards we met my family and hers at a place called Boomers. All though it was raining, we still managed to play a round of mini golf, laser tag (twice) and a boatload of video games (Caitlin rocks at the dance game). After dinner the families went to Buca Di Beppo (Caitlin's choice) for a great meal.

The experience of seeing Caitlin and just hanging out with her was an awesome one. I was pretty nervous leading up to the actual day. We'd only talked a few times over the previous weeks & not in 8 years before then. To say I was worried about what she would think of me is an understatement. I think everything went about as well as could be expected. Caitlin is a very beutiful, very smart, young lady.

I'm heading back down to San jose at the end of next month & I hope to see her again. Regardless if that happens or not, we're trying to work out something to have her come visit me during Spring Break and/or this Summer. I can't wait for my wife and two boys to meet her.