Tuesday, October 21, 2003

Starting a new job always brings some trepidation. I quit my current job at Allied Telesyn, Inc on Monday. I put in two weeks notice, but I allready had the second week off for a pre-planned vacation. My new job at Verizonstarts on my 33rd birthday...October 27th. I've allready made a sacrifice for my new job...I passed up my vacation.

The reasons for leaving ATI were pretty simple: I didn't know where my job was in 2004. I didn't want January to get here & find out I needed to look for a new job. Especially with a new baby boy coming in December. I had asked for clarification of my position over the past couple weeks, but it seemed no one really knew.

I spoke with the Big Boss, CEO Howard Kamerer, today. He said, "I wish you would have called me...If things don't work out for you give me a call...there will always be a spot for you here as long as I have one." I took this to mean that if I assume the company is still hiring, he would be interested in having me back. Boy is that a great feeling or what? I have always liked Howard. He has that little extra spirit I always wished I had. I may not agree with everything he says, but then again no one who earns any respect in life is agreed with 100% of the time. I think the key is to surround yourself with people who will give you honest opinions with no BS. If you do that, you will have some great perspectives with which to make your decisions. I think Howard has a way to go before he has completed the "makeup" of that team he needs to surround himself with. You can only do so much by yourself. At some point you have to let the other players on the team play & hope they are ready for it. In some areas it seems that team is falling into place...in others, well....It seems like maybe they are treading water.

Allied Telesyn is a GREAT company with some GREAT ideas. The products are acceptable (in theory) and the sales team is great. I can't wait to see the team put it all together and shoot for the sky. If it happens the way it should, people in the industry are going to wonder what hit them. If it doesn't, it could be an ugly fallout.

Regardless of what happens, people should be proud of the effort. The people at ATI work hard. The company will always only be as strong as it's people. I really hope Howard gets that great team around him. It would be absolutely fantastic to see ATI rise up and strike the giant!