Thursday, October 21, 2004

"I Can't Believe What I Just Saw"

In the words of a famous broadcaster after Kirk Gibson hit a Home Run off Dennis Eckersley in Game 1 of the 1988 World Series to give the Dodgers a 1-0 series lead, "II can't beleive what I just Saw." What it an epic comeback...some would say the greatest of all time? Or was it a disasterous choke job...for a team with a $190 million payroll? That's for you to decide, but one thing I can say is "Holy Cow"!



NEW YORK -- Someday, we may appreciate what just happened over the past four days. Right now, however, "I'm finding myself just wondering what day of the week this is,'' Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said.
Whatever day this is, it's probably not going to be very pleasant for Cashman. It won't be easy explaining to George Steinbrenner how the Yankees just became the first team in baseball history to blow a 3-0 lead in a postseason series -- and worse, to blow it to the Red Sox. Heck, it's difficult enough explaining it without having a maniacal owner yelling in your face and threatening that you'll never work in this business again.