Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Cyber games (or Nerd Watch 2004) Begins today

I don't think it will catch on like Texas Hold'em has in the U.S., but today does mark the beginning of the 8-tournament, $400,000 in prizes, Cyber Games 2004.
The event, a culmination of national competitions held around the globe, pits teams of players against each other in first-person shooters including "Counter-Strike: Condition Zero," "Unreal Tournament 2004" and "Halo."
"My parents didn't like it at all at first, but when I started traveling and making money out of it, they realized that I'm actually not just wasting my time on this," said gamer Michael Korduner of Stockholm.
In addition to the popular shooting titles, competitors will play "Need For Speed: Underground," a racing game with exotic cars, and "FIFA 2004," a fast-paced game of cyber soccer, played on PCs.